Monday, August 29, 2011

FRANK!

08/28/11
Continuing in my series of "iconic faces..." here's one of my all-time favorites: FRANK ZAPPA!
I began by trying to sketch Frank from memory. (I mean, how tough could it be? Get the moustache and you're there, right? Perhaps not...)

This could be just about any 70's rock star... lol
but it didn't look distinctly... Zappa.
So I set about searching for images and found quite a few. Then I began to explore the unique facial geography that is Frank Zappa.Much to my surprise, his nose is long, but it's a different type of long nose.
I gotta say, the guy had an interesting face!
This set off a flurry of sketching, drawing and exploring; everything from cartoony to realistic to stylized/graphic:



I began breaking down the features into the most basic graphic shapes, seeing how far I could push it and still retain a likeness.

Which led back around to a basic portrait:

This time around, the image was stronger - because of the exploration, trial and error. I had learned about what made his face... Frank.
I then took the image and exaggerated it:

And voila! There's the image I was searching for. The right exaggeration in the right places.

No comments:

Post a Comment