Monday, October 3, 2011

Tom Waits (as Renfield) for Caricaturama Showdown 3000!

10/03/11:
The first time I tried drawing Tom Waits, I really struggled, and was unhappy with the results.
After seeing Brooke's drawing of Tom Waits for the CS3K this week, I started thinking about revisiting Tom Waits. The more I thought about it, the more it just seemed like fun.
This time, however, I decided to focus on my favorite Tom Waits - his portrayal of Renfield in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I just LOVE the way he played up that character.
Even though I have other projects to work on, I gave in to my urge. So I did some reference searching. I had to do some screen grabs from a video, but it was worth it.
And I had a BLAST!!!
Here are my sketches:

Pencil, 8.5 x 11"

And here's some close-ups:


I'm not sure which is my favorite, because he made such great expressions. But I do admit I LOVED his face when the doctor proposed giving him a cat... LOL
(Not that I approve of that sort of thing, of course...)

No comments:

Post a Comment